Weight Stigma in Dietetics with Kimmie Singh
Tune into the Pursuing Private Practice Podcast as Kimmie Singh discusses how dietitians can reduce weight stigma in their practice.
In this episode:
In this episode of the Pursuing Private Practice Podcast, Kimmie Singh talks with Jennifer about the importance of understanding weight stigma as a dietitian and how weight stigma impacts our profession. She shares her insight on the importance of understanding bias, and how bias has impacted her as a dietitian living in a larger body.
We cover the following topics:
- How every RD has a bias, especially weight bias– what it is, how it harms clients, and how it also harms our profession
- How RDs and RD2be to be can learn more about weight stigma and feel empowered to create change from a social justice lens
- What can we do as a healing profession, wanting to help others, to challenge weight stigma for the health of the clients we serve.
This episode is sponsored by a free resource for professionals wanting to build a Weight Inclusive Private Practice, 10 Steps to Build a Weight Inclusive Business. This is ideal for those looking to transform their practice to incorporate the principles of a Health at Every Size® approach, Intuitive Eating, and body positivity. www.pursuingprivatepractice.com/weightinclusive
ABOUT KIMMIE SINGH
Kimmie Singh is a fat Registered Dietitian based in New York City. She completed her Master of Science in Nutrition at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro and her Dietetic Internship from The City University of New York-Hunter College. Kimmie is an associate at LK Nutrition, a Health at Every Size private practice that supports clients who are trying to heal their relationship with food and body. She also presents and consults on weight stigma in dietetics and dietetics training. Kimmie is a believer in kindness, compassion, and the power of advocacy.
LINKS / RESOURCES:
Website – The Body Positive Dietitian
Connect with Kimmie on Instagram
LINKS MENTIONED IN THE SHOW:
- Caring For Our Fat Bodies Facebook Group
- Meredith Nobel’s Body Acceptance Begins with Grieving the Thin Ideal
- IFEDD Dinner Wednesday, January 22nd featuring Kimmie as a speaker on Weight Stigma (Email email@example.com for details!)
RESOURCES FROM JENNIFER
- Training Programs
- Free Training: 5 Secrets To Get More Clients
- 5 Reasons Why Your Clients Binge Eat
- 10 Mistakes Professional Make in Private Practice
- Connect on Facebook
- Connect on Instagram
Jennifer McGurk, RDN, CDN, CDE, CEDRD is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist whose mission is to help dietitians Be the Dietitian you were Meant to Be. She is an expert in the field of eating disorders and also supervises other Registered Dietitians as an iaedp approved supervisor. She is the owner of Eat With Knowledge in Nyack, NY and leads a team of dietitians who support the philosophy, “Feel fabulous about food!”
Download her FREE resource on the top 10 mistakes professionals make in private practice.