The Pursuing Private Practice Podcast with Jennifer McGurk and Guest Marci Evans
In this episode:
This episode of the Pursuing Private Practice podcast is not to be missed, as Jennifer sits down with Marci Evans for an incredible conversation that will inspire dietitians at all stages of their career.
As a leader in the field of eating disorders, Marci helps bust the myth of doing it all alone, and why working with teams and community is necessary to build a thriving business and to support her accomplishments in the dietetics industry.
Fortunate to discover Intuitive Eating early in her internship, Marci reflects back on how it shaped her career and her own relationship with food, and influenced her niching down to eating disorders and HAES. Working at a weight-loss centric gym while attending graduate school, she cultivated her entrepreneurial skills and developed her voice and message of weight-inclusive dietetics.
You’ll hear the process of how Marci transitioned from a solo practice to a thriving group practice, and the necessary risks involved. She also shares how after teaching a University program for clinicians working with eating disorders, she bridged the course curriculum to create her online training program, Nutrition Counseling for Eating Disorders, and how she later updated it with a 2.0 version. From there, she developed even more online training programs for dietitians, to meet the demand for specialized training.
Along the way of building a thriving group practice and online training programs, Marci explains the absolute necessity of having a team of people to help get it all done.
If you’re unable to surrender tasks to another person, you cannot build beyond your own individual practice. – Marci Evans
Some of the topics discussed include:
- How her Master’s degree integrated nutrition and entrepreneurship with eating disorders counselling, and provided the foundation.
- Her process of growing a group practice and the steps of developing her online course.
- How her community feedback helped her build version 2.0 of the program.
- The lack of training opportunities in eating disorder counseling, why dietitians need to learn more about it, and her passion for continuing to expand the role of dietitians.
- The challenges of her unexpected maternity leave and transitioning back to work, and how she now navigates the middle ground without over-extending herself.
- Her advice for dietitians going into entrepreneurial ventures.
- Looking ahead to 2020 and what’s next.
I feel really strong about continuing to elevate and expand the role of dietitians. – Marci Evans
The Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap is the guide that you need to start your private practice. Learn the 10 key steps you need to do in order to start your private practice with confidence. Download your FREE guide and get started today here!
ABOUT MARCI EVANS, RD
Marci is a Food and Body Imager Healer®. She has dedicated her career to counseling, supervising, and teaching in the field of eating disorders and body image and has spoken nationally and internationally on these topics. In 2015 she launched an online training platform for dietitians and therapists and currently offers 3 self-study courses on the topics of body image and eating disorders. In 2016 Simmons College recruited Marci to co-develop a specialized eating disorders dietetic internship track and graduate level coursework. Additionally, she maintains a group clinical practice in Cambridge, MA.
LINKS / RESOURCES:
- Website: marcird.com
- Online Training for Dietitians
- 2.0 Version – Nutrition Counseling for Eating Disorders
- Connect with Marci on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
RESOURCES FROM JENNIFER