The Pursuing Private Practice Podcast with Jennifer McGurk and Guest Hannah Turnbull
In this episode:
In this informative episode of the Pursuing Private Practice podcast, Jennifer is joined by Hannah Turnbull to shine a light on the pros and cons of taking insurance in a private practice.
Hannah discusses how her own eating disorder recovery drove her to choose dietetics as a career. After discovering Intuitive Eating while in school, she explains why it took a while to ‘click’, and how her journey of recovery strengthens her relationship with clients.
“Intuitive Eating is the reason I’m still a dietitian today.” – Hannah Turnbull
Always an entrepreneur at heart, she shares how her transition to a private practice began while still working full-time at a hospital, and how her varied work experience prepared her for running a business.
Now one year after transitioning from a solo to a group practice, Hannah tells how she hired her team to be in alignment with her values of a weight-inclusive practice, and how she leads the business and manages her employees.
Together, Jennifer and Hannah then dive into the topic of insurance, how she brought in her value system in her decision to take insurance, and the learning curve involved.
“For me it just made sense, I like to use my insurance when I can, and I want to make that one less barrier for somebody to be able to get care that they deserve.” – Hannah Turnbull
Some of the topics discussed include:
- Why she started taking insurance to be in alignment of her values to be accessible, inclusive and equal.
- Her learning process, and how she studied other HAES dietitians who were taking insurance to learn the first steps, and establishing a system.
- Why her practice is on 3 insurance panels, and instead of an all-or-nothing approach, why it’s okay to pick and choose and start with a few, and why she decided to not contract with some insurance companies.
- The importance of doing the research for your state, and utilizing the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’s individual state organizations and also local organization reimbursement chairs for localized information.
- The Pros of taking insurance, how it grew her practice, and provides better and consistent client care with weekly appointments.
- The Cons of taking insurance, dealing with the upfront work and delay to be accepted and the added expenses.
- How she handles reimbursement rejections to advocate for the client.
- The importance of policies and procedures and having clients sign off to understand.
- Why she created her first course “Nourish Your Knowledge” with colleague McKenzie Caldwell to provide a resource they wish they had earlier to better understand HAES and Intuitive Eating.
- Her plans for 2020 including speaking engagements and webinars to teach clinicians the steps to start taking insurance, and her role as an advocate to help clients have more access to insurance and support.
This episode is sponsored by a resource for dietitians, The Top 10 Mistakes Professionals Make In Private Practice. Gain insight and information about building a private practice and save time, money, and energy on common mistakes that you may be doing already! Download this FREE resource on the Top 10 Mistakes Professionals Make in Private Practice and learn what NOT to do so you can do the things that really matter and make a difference.
ABOUT HANNAH TURNBULL, RDN
Hannah Turnbull, RDN is a registered dietitian and the owner of Nourished with Hannah, a group practice based in Denver, Colorado that specializes in the treatment of eating disorders and disordered eating from a health at every size and intuitive eating lens. Her mission is to empower people to unlearn the rules society has taught us about food, dieting and bodies by practicing self-care and self-compassion. Her practice helps clients establish flexible, mindful eating habits and sustainable self care practices so they can begin to live their most nourished lives. She also co teaches a hybrid support group and course, “Nourish Your Knowledge” for future dietitians and health professionals to explore concepts of intuitive eating, Health at Every Size® and weight inclusive care. She is currently pursuing the Certified Eating Disorder Registered Dietitian (CEDRD) Certification and is a board member of the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals (IAEDP), Denver chapter. She is a sought out speaker for presentations, expert panels, and news/media on eating disorders, intuitive eating, and weight inclusive topics.
LINKS / RESOURCES:
- Website: nourishedwithhannah.com
- Course: Nourish Your Knowledge
- Hannah’s EDRDPro Webinar on April 3, 2020: Social Justice Through a Financial Lens: An Intro of the Ins and Outs of Taking Insurance as an Eating Disorder Dietitian.
- Connect with Hannah on Instagram
RESOURCES FROM JENNIFER
- Training Programs for Dietitians
- Free Training: 5 Secrets To Get More Clients to your Intuitive Eating Practice
- Build a Weight-Inclusive Practice
- 5 Reasons Why Your Clients Binge Eat
- Connect on Facebook
- Connect on Instagram
Jennifer McGurk, RDN, CDN, CDE, CEDRD is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist whose mission is to help dietitians Be the Dietitian you were Meant to Be. She is an expert in the field of eating disorders and also supervises other Registered Dietitians as an iaedp approved supervisor. She is the owner of Eat With Knowledge in Nyack, NY and leads a team of dietitians who support the philosophy, “Feel fabulous about food!”
Download her FREE resource on the top 10 mistakes professionals make in private practice.