The Pursuing Private Practice Podcast with Jennifer McGurk and Guest Glenys Oyston
In this episode:
There are many pathways to a full-time private practice, and Jennifer’s guest Glenys Oyston shares her journey of an incremental process to realizing her dream. Listen to her inspiring story of discovering Health at Every Size, niching down, and overcoming impostor syndrome on this episode of the Pursuing Private Practice podcast.
Glenys tells us about her experience of being a restrictive dieter in her twenties, and how she chose the Dietetics industry with the career goal of being a weight loss dietitian. Throughout her years of course work, her obsession with food restriction and fear of gaining weight was dominating her life, and upon discovering HAES as a student, reflects on the transformation it had on her perspective, breaking her free from the diet lifestyle.
Incorporating the principles of HAES with her inpatients and primary care work with spinal cord injuries and geriatrics, she met her future podcast partner Aaron Flores, RDN whom she learned about Intuitive Eating. All the while, she worked full-time with the dream of one day having her own private practice.
Glenys tells how she transitioned into a practice incrementally over three years, and dealt with impostor syndrome by pushing through and learning by doing.
The only way to get through the fear is to go straight through it, and keep working at it until you’ve helped enough people that you start to feel good about it. – Glenys Oyston
Some of the topics discussed include:
- How discovering Health at Every Size and Intuitive Eating broke her free from restrictive eating issues, and empowered her to be okay with her natural body size.
- The journey of starting her private practice with an incremental progression over several years; first with a blog in late 2014, ‘Dare to Not Diet’, then a podcast in 2015 with Aaron Flores, to taking her first clients in 2016.
- How she learned as she went, and has benefited from being one of the first to join the Pursuing Private Practice Program.
- How she dealt with fear of failure and impostor syndrome at each stage, and has built confidence by taking action and putting things in perspective to enjoy the ride.
- Why she has narrowed down her niche of only working in areas she enjoys, and knows when to refer clients to other dietitians, without considering them as competition.
- The realization of her dream of full-time practice, and by making space for networking, more clients came.
I’m in competition with the diet industry. I don’t buy the traditional competition model. I’m there to lift up my fellow dietitians. – Glenys Oyston
This show is sponsored by a free guide for dietitians, The Top 5 Reasons Your Client Binge Eats (and How To Support Them In Their Journey To Feel Fabulous About Food). This resource is all about nutrition counseling tips and strategies for clients struggling with binge eating. Gain skills and confidence to work with your clients while making an impact.
ABOUT GLENYS OYSTON, RD
Glenys Oyston is a registered dietitian who helps people recover from eating and body image issues created by toxic diet culture through the Health at Every Size® and intuitive eating philosophies. She is also an advocate for promoting weight-stigma awareness and fat positivity, and is the co-host of the popular Dietitians Unplugged podcast. She is based in Los Angeles, and sees clients both in-person and virtually.
LINKS / RESOURCES:
- Website: daretonotdiet.com
- Podcast: Dietitians Unplugged
- Jennifer’s guest podcast interview
- Connect with Glenys on Facebook
RESOURCES FROM JENNIFER
- Training Programs for Dietitians
- 5 Secrets To Make Money and Make An Impact In Your Private Practice
- Build a Weight Inclusive Practice
- 10 Mistakes Professional Make in Private Practice
- Connect on Facebook
- Connect on Instagram
Jennifer McGurk, RDN, CDN, CDE, CEDRD is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist whose mission is to help dietitians Be the Dietitian you were Meant to Be. She is an expert in the field of eating disorders and also supervises other Registered Dietitians as an iaedp approved supervisor. She is the owner of Eat With Knowledge in Nyack, NY and leads a team of dietitians who support the philosophy, “Feel fabulous about food!”
Download her FREE resource on the top 10 mistakes professionals make in private practice.