The Pursuing Private Practice Podcast with Jennifer McGurk and Guest Anne Elizabeth Cundiff
In this episode:
Anne Elizabeth Cundiff brings her 18 years of dietitian experience to this episode of the Pursuing Private Practice podcast, and shares with Jennifer how her passion has evolved to helping other dietitians on their journey of achieving career success.
Anne recalls how early in her career in 1998, she didn’t have any support while pursuing her education and career choices, and felt alone and isolated with no community or resources at that time. This experience later fueled her passion to provide that missing resource in the complex dietetics industry, leading to the launch of her mentoring business to help dietitians in navigating their career.
She also shares with Jennifer how she first learned about Intuitive Eating from a student while working as a Preceptor, and how she incorporates it into her work with clients and refers out to specialized Intuitive Eating dietitians when needed. About Intuitive Eating, she says…
“I think as dietitians, regardless of where you’re at in your profession, you have to be open to any new way of thought that can help someone succeed at living their healthiest life.” – Anne Elizabeth Cundiff
Some of the topics discussed include:
- How she mentors new and experienced dietitians who are at a crossroads in their profession, and educates them about career options and provides connections and community.
- Her threefold approach with mentoring that also includes her book and podcast with over 150 episodes as the conversation piece.
- The power of working with younger dietitians and students to learn new trends and stay current with the changing industry, and how we collectively work together to uplift the profession.
- How she’s seen an increase in younger dietitians and those with 10-15 years’ experience wanting to learn Intuitive Eating, and why it often doesn’t appeal to those with 30+ years’ experience.
- Examples of how her personalized Business Coaching approach of mentoring has helped dietitians:
- find their ideal jobs,
- to understand or re-discover their passion and values,
- to navigate through burnout from high-intensity jobs and transition to other areas of practice.
- Why it’s normal to switch direction 3 to 4 times in your career and the importance of reaching out for someone to help you navigate those transitions.
- Examples of how she balances work-life satisfaction and self-care, stays organized and focused, and what she’s learned from her struggle with establishing boundaries.
“My approach is letting someone just talk it out, to help people not give up on something that meant so much to them when they first got into the field.” – Anne Elizabeth Cundiff
The Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap is the guide that you need to start your private practice. Learn the 10 key steps you need to do in order to start your private practice with confidence. Download your FREE guide and get started today here!
ABOUT ANNE ELIZABETH CUNDIFF, RD, LD, LSC, FAND
With more than 18 years of living her purpose and passion as a registered dietitian, Anne enjoys inspiring other registered dietitians find their own joy, purpose and passion while embracing a ‘hell yeah’ life. She is a member of the Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics serving as Past-President, Marketing Chair, Media Spokesperson and the recipient of the 2013 Medallion Award and of the 2016 Outstanding Dietitian of the Year Award. Anne is grateful for her passions of writing, speaking, wellness and, of course, food. Her creative and inspirational outlets are her Embrace the Hell Yeah! blog and her podcast, Conversations with Anne Elizabeth.
She is an award-winning blogger for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Food & Nutrition Magazine Stone Soup Blog, an expert with Best Food Facts and a retail registered dietitian. Anne graduated from Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, and attended Iowa State University for her dietetic internship. She is a daughter, a sister, a godmother, a horrible golfer, a BFF, and a skin-care-obsessed, music-loving and hardworking woman.
LINKS / RESOURCES:
- Website: AnneElizabethrd.com
- Podcast: Conversations with Anne Elizabeth (Stay tuned for Jennifer’s guest episode in February 2020!)
- Book: I’m a Registered Dietitian… Now What?
- Connect with Anne Elizabeth on Instagram and Twitter
RESOURCES FROM JENNIFER
- Download the FREE Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap
- Starting a private practice? Beginner Basics is for you!
- Growing your private practice? Dietitian Business School is for you!
- Connect on Facebook
- Connect on Instagram