The Pursuing Private Practice Podcast with Jennifer McGurk and Guest Amber Thomas
In this episode:
Jennifer is delighted to welcome Amber Thomas to this informative episode of the Pursuing Private Practice Podcast.
As a Registered Dietitian specializing in Cancer Nutrition, Amber shares her journey and expertise of bridging an Intuitive Eating, weight-inclusive practice with oncology nutrition.
Having specialized in oncology for her entire dietetics career of 16 years, Amber tells how she became concerned with seeing cancer patients that wanted regimented diet protocols, and how they feared food and judged themselves for what they ate. When her friend and fellow dietitian Melissa Preston gave her the Intuitive Eating book, it transformed her approach with guiding her patients to a better relationship with food.
She also shares how Intuitive Eating helps patients heal after treatment from the psychological impact of cancer that can create a dissociation and mistrust of the body, and how the principles guide them to trust and listen to their body again.
This is where I need to be guiding people to a better relationship with food, so they can choose foods that are health-promoting after cancer treatment, and not fear food like I was seeing. – Amber Thomas
Some of the topics discussed include:
- Why she transitioned to private practice after working at a cancer center for 10 years, and how she found an online coaching approach to oncology nutrition. She feels it works the best to provide better support for her clients, and that online coaching provides balance with her family.
- The dynamics of working with the intersection between cancer, Intuitive Eating, and HAES, and how Medical Nutrition Therapy and Intuitive Eating can be integrated together.
- What dietitians need to know about cancer nutrition research, such as the harm in popular “prevention” food messages with black and white language, and how weight stigma shows up in cancer care.
- Why some Intuitive Eating principles have a lot of nuance during cancer treatments when tuning into the body is compromised, such as the signals of hunger/fullness and taste, and when flexibility is required.
- Why she wishes dietitians understood more about the trauma cancer patients experience, and encourages them to improve their counselling skills to better meet the patient where they’re at (financially, emotionally, physically) with more sensitivity to their circumstances.
- How being consistent with her message and offerings have benefited her private practice, and her plans for 2020 which include starting a podcast to provide education with a different message about cancer nutrition.
The Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap is the guide that you need to start your private practice. Learn the 10 key steps you need to do in order to start your private practice with confidence. Download your FREE guide and get started today here!
ABOUT AMBER THOMAS, RD
Amber Thomas is a registered dietitian, board-certified specialist in oncology nutrition, and an online nutrition coach through her private practice Cancer Nutrition Solutions. She worked in various settings, including hospitals, cancer clinics, and even home health, for over 15 years before starting her own business in 2019. Amber provides nutrition coaching to men and women who have faced a cancer diagnosis. She provides action steps to manage side effects and stay nourished during cancer treatment, and helps clients examine deep-held beliefs about food and cancer, overcome food fears, and empower their survivorship journey through food after treatment.
LINKS / RESOURCES:“This is where I need to be guiding people to a better relationship with food, so they can choose foods that are health-promoting after cancer treatment, & not fear food like I was seeing.” – Amber Thomas #pursuingprivatepractice #intuitiveeating #HAESClick To Tweet
RESOURCES FROM JENNIFER
- Download the FREE Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap
- Starting a private practice? Beginner Basics is for you!
- Growing your private practice? Dietitian Business School is for you!
- Connect on Facebook
- Connect on Instagram
Pursuing Private Practice offers so many different resources for non-diet dietitians who are starting and growing a business!
- The Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap is the guide that you need to start your private practice. Learn the 10 key steps you need to do in order to start your private practice with confidence. Download your FREE guide and get started today here!
- If you are actively growing a business, check out Marketing Bootcamp to learn how to set up a marketing plan.
- Check out our Self-Care Video Series to learn how to protect your boundaries as a business owner.