The Pursuing Private Practice Podcast with Jennifer McGurk and Guest Elyse Resche
In this episode:
Jennifer welcomes special guest and industry leader Elyse Resch for an inspiring and informative talk about the evolving movement of Intuitive Eating, and how it’s transforming the way Registered Dietitians practice in our field.
Following Elyse’s Intuitive Eating presentation with Evelyn Tribole at FNCE 2019 with over 2,000 attendees, together Jennifer and Elyse continue the discussion about how the movement has evolved since the first book came out 25 years ago; Intuitive Eating. With the 4th edition coming out June 23rd 2020, Elyse reflects back to 1995 when the idea of Intuitive Eating was first starting, and takes us on a journey of how it has evolved with social justice, additional research, and greater awareness of weight stigma.
She expresses her gratitude for being part of the change and getting the message out to the world, and how Intuitive Eating is now taking on a life its own.
Some of the topics discussed include:
- Elyse’s journey of transitioning from her first career as an elementary school teacher after having her son, and starting her private practice with the goal of being self-employed with autonomy.
- How Intuitive Eating has changed the Registered Dietitian field and kept RDs in the profession with a new sense of purpose and fulfillment.
- How Intuitive Eating impacts and extends out to other areas of life, such as relationships, connections with others, and satisfaction.
- Why having a specialty such as Intuitive Eating helps create a brand for yourself, and allows you to make an impact in the lives of others as a Registered Dietitian.
- The crucial role and benefits of supervision.
- How she manages work-life satisfaction, and makes time to be with family and tend to her other interests and self-care.
- A review of FNCE 2019 and its first presentations on Intuitive Eating, Body Image, and Binge Eating Disorder.
- How Intuitive Eating is now being woven into University curriculums, and the frustration of being trained in a traditional weight-centric approach that is outdated.
- Elyse’s future projects and plans to transition into consulting work, and her hopes for the future of the dietetics profession.
The Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap is the guide that you need to start your private practice. Learn the 10 key steps you need to do in order to start your private practice with confidence. Download your FREE guide and get started today here!
ABOUT ELYSE RESCH
Elyse Resch, MS, RDN, CEDRD-S, Fiaedp, FADA, FAND, is a nutrition therapist in private practice in Beverly Hills, California, with over thirty-seven years of experience, specializing in eating disorders, Intuitive Eating, and Health at Every Size. She is the author of The Intuitive Eating Workbook for Teens, the co-author of Intuitive Eating and The Intuitive Eating Workbook, a chapter contributor to The Handbook of Positive Body Image and Embodiment, and has published journal articles, print articles, and blog posts. She also does regular speaking engagements, podcasts, and extensive media interviews. Her work has been profiled on CNN, KABC, NBC, KTTV, AP Press, KFI Radio, USA Today, and the Huffington Post, among others.
Resch is nationally known for her work in helping patients break free from the diet mentality through the Intuitive Eating process. Her philosophy embraces the goal of developing body positivity and reconnecting with one’s internal wisdom about eating. She supervises and trains health professionals, is a Certified Eating Disorder Registered Dietitian, a Fellow of the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals, and a Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
LINKS / RESOURCES:
- Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works
- The Intuitive Eating Workbook for Teens: A Non-Diet, Body Positive Approach to Building a Healthy Relationship with Food
- The Intuitive Eating Workbook: Ten Principles for Nourishing a Healthy Relationship with Food (A New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook)
SUPERVISION: Elyse’s supervision group meets once/month on a Wednesday night, available to local professionals in the LA area and also virtual. If interested, contact Elyse here.“I think it’s an illusion that jobs are more secure than private practice is.” ~@ElyseResch via @JenMcGurkRDN #pursuingprivatepractice #podcastClick To Tweet
RESOURCES FROM JENNIFER
- Download the FREE Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap
- Starting a private practice? Beginner Basics is for you!
- Growing your private practice? Dietitian Business School is for you!
- Connect on Facebook
- Connect on Instagram
Pursuing Private Practice offers so many different resources for non-diet dietitians who are starting and growing a business!
- The Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap is the guide that you need to start your private practice. Learn the 10 key steps you need to do in order to start your private practice with confidence. Download your FREE guide and get started today here!
- If you are actively growing a business, check out Marketing Bootcamp to learn how to set up a marketing plan.
- Check out our Self-Care Video Series to learn how to protect your boundaries as a business owner.