The Pursuing Private Practice Podcast with Jennifer McGurk and Guest Haley Goodrich
In this episode:
HAES® informed eating disorders dietitian Haley Goodrich joins Jennifer for an informative and heartwarming discussion on this episode of the Pursuing Private Practice Podcast.
Co-founder of INSPIRD to SEEK, a community for weight-inclusive healthcare professionals, Haley shares her story of how she evolved to become an advocate and educator of the HAES approach to dietetics. After quickly discovering early in her career that clinical dietetics was not her jam, she reflects how becoming an entrepreneur was the only way to practice the way she wanted. After opening a private practice which grew quicker than she anticipated, she studied Intuitive Eating as a tool, learned more about how to teach her clients about HAES, and worked toward being an eating disorders dietitian.
Now running a group practice with two other dietitians, Haley discusses the process of hiring, the satisfaction of employing others, and how success in a private practice is not always based on the numbers, but sustained growth by creating relationships with referral sources and practitioners in the area.
I was tired of living really small, and I’d rather take a risk and live a bigger life than feel really safe inside my comfort zone, and I’ll figure it out. – Haley Goodrich
Haley also tells how she took on the Eating Disorders Chair position in the Behavioral Health and Nutrition dietetic practice group from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, how it has helped her to communicate strategically, and the importance of HAES being embraced in the academy. She also shares how INSPIRD to SEEK evolved out of her own need for community at a time before any Facebook groups, and being the only HAES practitioner in Pittsburgh, PA.
Together they shine a light on the topic of collaboration instead of competition in the niche of anti-diet practitioners, and how we all bring our own message that is unique to help each other learn and grow.
Some of the topics discussed include:
- The privilege of being a Dietitian and being able to take the risk of being a business owner.
- The challenge of finding balance her professional and personal life.
- The importance of boundaries, how they shift, and managing time on social media.
- Her passion for supporting dietitians in private practice to shift to a weight-inclusive approach.
- Her advice to new dietitians.
I truly think that competition in this space is a way to distract ourself from the real purpose of our work. We don’t need to compete against each other. We’re going against the grain and a $70 billion diet industry; that’s who we need to compete against. – Haley Goodrich
The Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap is the guide that you need to start your private practice. Learn the 10 key steps you need to do in order to start your private practice with confidence. Download your FREE guide and get started today here!
ABOUT HALEY GOODRICH, RD, LDN, CEDRD
Haley Goodrich is a Certified Eating Disorder Registered Dietitian who is fiercely passionate about helping people heal from disordered eating and cultivate a peaceful relationship with food and their body. She specializes in eating disorder recovery, body image, weight-inclusive nutrition therapy, and is a supervisor for other registered dietitians. Haley is currently the Eating Disorder Resource Professional for the Behavior Health Nutrition dietetic practice group. In addition to individual client work and managing her group private practice, she is also the co-founder of INSPIRD to SEEK, where she mentors nutrition entrepreneurs and practitioners who are challenging the status quo of our health industry. Haley strongly believes in integrating the Non-Diet Approach and HAES® philosophy into all health care settings, including nutrition therapy. She advocates through her writing, speaking, and social media presence.
- Website: inspirdnutrition.com
- INSPIRD to SEEK
- Workshop: Non Diet Approach – Principles, Practice, Purpose (Portland OR, May 11-12)
- Workshop: Non Diet Approach – Principles, Practice, Purpose (San Diego, May 15-16)
- Connect with Haley on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
RESOURCES FROM JENNIFER
- Download the FREE Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap
- Starting a private practice? Beginner Basics is for you!
- Growing your private practice? Dietitian Business School is for you!
- Connect on Facebook
- Connect on Instagram
Pursuing Private Practice offers so many different resources for non-diet dietitians who are starting and growing a business!
- The Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap is the guide that you need to start your private practice. Learn the 10 key steps you need to do in order to start your private practice with confidence. Download your FREE guide and get started today here!
- If you are actively growing a business, check out Marketing Bootcamp to learn how to set up a marketing plan.
- Check out our Self-Care Video Series to learn how to protect your boundaries as a business owner.