The Pursuing Private Practice Podcast with Jennifer McGurk and Guest Dr. Alexis Conason
In this episode:
Alexis Conason, Psy.D., CEDS, joins Jennifer to discuss her behavioral approach to treating clients with binge eating disorder, and shares her journey of transitioning from a weight-centric to weight-inclusive, intuitive eating approach.
When early in her career she discovered what wasn’t working with her patients, Alexis describes her discovery of the HAES and mindfulness approach which fundamentally changed her work. Now, part of a weight-inclusive group practice specializing in eating disorders, and the creator of a 6-week online program The Anti-Diet Plan, Alexis discusses how she works with clients beyond the DSM5 criteria.
Some of the topics discussed include:
- The role of Dietitians who are often the first contact for people with undiagnosed binge eating disorders.
- Behavioral approaches for binge eating, such as psychodynamic, interpersonal, and third-wave cognitive behavioral therapy, and the need for a multi-disciplinary support team to help someone heal.
- How social media plays a role in eating disorder recovery including the HAES social justice movement, and why finding your community can be healing.
The Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap is the guide that you need to start your private practice. Learn the 10 key steps you need to do in order to start your private practice with confidence. Download your FREE guide and get started today here!
ABOUT ALEXIS CONASON
Alexis Conason, Psy.D., CEDS is a licensed psychologist and certified eating disorder specialist in private practice in New York City. Her practice specializes in the treatment of overeating disorders, body image dissatisfaction, bariatric surgery, and sexual functioning. She is the founder of The Anti-Diet Plan, an online mindfulness-based program to help people stop dieting, start eating with more attunement to their bodies and live lives filled with joy, peace, and pleasure.
She is a regular contributor to Psychology Today and writes the “Eating Mindfully” blog for their website. She has been widely featured in the popular press including Oprah Magazine, Elle, Teen Vogue, and many more.
Dr. Conason is a fierce advocate for helping people recognize and question the societal norms that encourage feeling not good enough about themselves so that they can live their most fulfilling lives– at any size!
LINKS / RESOURCES:
The Anti-Diet Plan virtual course: www.theantidietplan.com
I’m @theantidietplan on IG, FB, and twitter
RESOURCES FROM JENNIFER
- Download the FREE Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap
- Starting a private practice? Beginner Basics is for you!
- Growing your private practice? Dietitian Business School is for you!
- Connect on Facebook
- Connect on Instagram