The Pursuing Private Practice Podcast with Jennifer McGurk and Guest Julia Werth
In this episode:
Think you need to wait for life to settle down before starting your private practice? Julia Werth didn’t think so. Growing her practice did not take a back seat to planning a wedding for Jennifer’s guest on this episode of the Pursuing Private Practice Podcast. You’ll be delighted to hear Julia’s story of how she successfully balanced both, and manages a dual career as an Intuitive Eating Registered Dietitian and a journalist.
Julia discusses her own previous struggle with an eating disorder as an athlete, and dealing with the body image pressures that came with being a dancer and runner.
She shares her story of recovery while studying nutrition and discovering Intuitive Eating during her Dietetic internship, and how she started her own business right away, specializing in eating disorder recovery, inspired from her own experience.
I love teaching, and that is my arena to meet people with the message of Intuitive Eating and body positivity.– Julia Werth
Some of the topics discussed include:
- Why she didn’t wait until after the wedding was over to build her business.
- How Julia’s approach of ‘act now, think later’ launched her practice so quickly after her internship, and the virtues of learning by doing.
- Her lessons of getting organized and putting systems in place in her business, learning to say no and narrowing her focus.
- How handling the wedding plans on a budget honed her skills that improved her business.
- How she managed the “diet culture” messaging while planning for her wedding, and using social media to share her experiences and body-positive responses.
- Julia’s plans to grow her dietitian practice, and her goal of expanding in to more schools.
This episode is sponsored by a resource for dietitians, The Top 10 Mistakes Professionals Make In Private Practice. Gain insight and information about building a private practice and save time, money, and energy on common mistakes that you may be doing already! Download this FREE resource on the Top 10 Mistakes Professionals Make in Private Practice and learn what NOT to do so you can do the things that really matter and make a difference.
ABOUT JULIA WERTH RD CDN
Julia Werth RD CDN is the founder of Werth Your While Nutrition and host of Life with ED, the podcast. She specializes in eating disorders and sports nutrition in adolescents and young adults. In addition she is a journalist for the Connecticut Examiner and Connecticut Mirror where she writes about education, the environment, healthcare and juvenile justice. Julia holds a dual degree from the University of Connecticut in Journalism and Nutritional Sciences.
LINKS / RESOURCES:
- Website: werthyourwhile.com
- Podcast: Life With ED
- Jennifer’s guest podcast interview
- Connect with Julia on Facebook, on Instagram and Twitter
RESOURCES FROM JENNIFER
- Training Programs for Dietitians
- 5 Secrets To Make Money and Make An Impact In Your Private Practice
- 5 Reasons Why Your Clients Binge Eat
- 10 Mistakes Professional Make in Private Practice
- Connect on Facebook
- Connect on Instagram
Jennifer McGurk, RDN, CDN, CDE, CEDRD is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist whose mission is to help dietitians Be the Dietitian you were Meant to Be. She is an expert in the field of eating disorders and also supervises other Registered Dietitians as an iaedp approved supervisor. She is the owner of Eat With Knowledge in Nyack, NY and leads a team of dietitians who support the philosophy, “Feel fabulous about food!”
Download her FREE resource on the top 10 mistakes professionals make in private practice.