I just got off of my Pursuing Private Practice Masterclass group coaching call and felt so excited to write this!
These group calls inspire ME just as much as I hope they inspire all of my students. We talked about so many exciting topics but one particular topic was my favorite–> how to get new clients.
I have been in private practice for 7 years (!!) and throughout the years I have had a wide range of active clients in my practice. Sometimes I am “slower” with less active clients and other times I am overwhelmed!! I find it depends on the “season” of business, the economic attitude of my area, as well as my own networking efforts. I’ve learned there are a few things I can do as a business owner to increase my referrals.
Hopefully these tips will help YOU get a new client for next week.
- Write a really good blog post or newsletter and blast it out on social media. Any popular or controversial topic has potential to get a lot of likes/views/links to your website and chances are someone may think “I need to see him or her”. Don’t forget to include at least a line about how you are taking new clients!
- Look at your existing clients and follow-up with their team. Do they have a doctor? Dietitian? Therapist? Psychiatrist? Can you update these other healthcare professionals about your present client so they know that you are doing a great job as a treatment provider? (And “doing a great job” doesn’t meant the client has to be doing well. Honesty is always best no matter what.)
- While in conversation…. ASK for more referrals!! I have openly said to many other healthcare professionals “I want some more clients” at certain times and have also told these people I have “popular” time slots open as well.
- Send business cards to at least 5 people. We are all obsessed with email in today’s world that I find it is so nice to get regular mail!! Anytime I get other providers business cards they go in the front of my business card holder and I’m thinking about that professional.
- Pick a NEW referral source and schedule a lunch date to really get to know them. Getting to know other healthcare professionals on a personal level is so much better networking than just introducing yourself and saying hi.
Taking my own advice… I am now taking on a few Registered Dietitian Nutritionists for supervision/business coaching sessions! (I do both because I find it impossible to only focus on either one. In my opinion they go together!). You can learn more about my Supervison programs here.
Are you ready to start a private practice or grow your business, but are feeling stuck? Download my FREE resource on the Top 10 Mistakes Professionals Make in Private Practice. Don’t let this be you!
Jennifer McGurk, RDN, CDN, CDE, CEDRD is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist whose mission is to help dietitians Be the Dietitian you were Meant to Be. She is an expert in the field of eating disorders and also supervises other Registered Dietitians as an iaedp approved supervisor. She is the owner of Eat With Knowledge in Nyack, NY and leads a team of dietitians who support the philosophy, “Feel fabulous about food!”
Download her FREE resource on the top 10 mistakes professionals make in private practice.