I’ve reached a major milestone in my business and I want to celebrate with you by sharing how I built my business for long term success!
When I started my business back in 2011, I had a few weeks where everything seemed like a blur. It was this strange mix of fear, frustration, and overwhelm… but I was also so excited and ready to GO! I mean, I HAD waited 3 years to actually START. You know, because of all the “research” I needed to do to “get ready.”
On July 11, 2011, I went to my local county’s courthouse to purchase my DBA (Doing Business As). I waited in line, proudly handed over my driver’s license and $25, and BOOM! I was in business as “Eat With Knowledge.”
Thankfully, I didn’t wait an additional 3 years to get going, even if I was scared out of my mind at the time. But spoiler alert: that fear doesn’t ever really go away. It just morphs and changes along the way.
Back then I had no idea where this business would take me.
July 11th is my 10 year business anniversary and look what happened in 10 years!
Today in 2021: Eat With Knowledge has expanded into a group private practice. Pursuing Private Practice, an entirely new business, was created to help dietitians build a private practice. I employ dietitians and have contractors working for the business. We’ve proudly served over 1,000 clients and 200 dietitians. We’re on track to make a LOT of money this year as a weight-inclusive business. How amazing is that?
If you had predicted all of this in 2011…I don’t think I ever would’ve believed you.
I want to share this story, but not to tell you that “you can do it too,” because marketing messages like that can be diet culture in disguise. We’re all different with unique personalities, strengths, and privileges. I share this story because I want you to know that YOUR dreams and goals are possible, no matter what they are.
Whatever stage of business you’re in, I have 10 tips for growing your own business for long term success:
- Just start even though you’re scared. Enough said!
- Mindset work never ends. Whether you’re making $100 or $1,000,000, you need to address the specific mindset shifts for where you are.
- Business growth doesn’t happen in a linear line. The “overnight successes” you see are hardly ever overnight successes.
- Don’t be afraid to invest into your business. Growing a business will take a lot out of you: time, money, AND energy. Investing can help make your life easier.
- You’ll receive inspiration from the people you surround yourself with. Create an environment of support for your business and you will feel like you can accomplish your goals.
- Focus on your Next Step. Building anything (business included!) is one step at a time.
- Don’t forget that “one step at a time” means that it’s usually 2 steps forward, one step back. Businesses never grow in linear lines!
- Don’t be afraid to switch it up if it’s not working. This goes for your offer, your prices, your team, even your clients. Sometimes you need to leave people behind in order to get to where you want to go.
- Ask for help. Delegation is key in business AND at home. No one can do it all, and no one should have to do it all. It takes a village to create the life you want to live.
- Celebrate the wins. As a business owner, you WILL have days that you laugh, cry, vent, and celebrate all within a 24 hour period. It’s important to recognize your wins when they happen.
Pursuing Private Practice offers so many different resources for non-diet dietitians who are starting and growing a business!
- The Dietitian Business Plan Roadmap is the guide that you need to start your private practice. Learn the 10 key steps you need to do in order to start your private practice with confidence. Download your FREE guide and get started today here!
- If you are actively growing a business, check out Marketing Bootcamp to learn how to set up a marketing plan.
- Check out our Self-Care Video Series to learn how to protect your boundaries as a business owner.